Medical Coding and Billing
- Flexible Learning: Instruction is self-paced and all online.
- Time Commitment: Approx. 20 hours per week
- Length of Program: 32 weeks
- Start Date: September 2020
- End Date: May 2021
*All applications must be received by November 20th for consideration.
This course is full and enrollment is closed at this time.
The online, self-paced Professional Medical Coding and Billing program prepares students to pass the certification exams. (Students have to pass one exam to become a coder. Completing both certification exams is beneficial but optional.) Enrollment includes ebooks, codebooks, and a voucher for one certification exam.
Topics studied include reimbursement methodologies, biomedical sciences, and current code sets. The curriculum has a three-part program design:
- Foundations: This first section of the program will teach you things like computer fundamentals, the health information management process, and reimbursement methodologies to ensure you thoroughly understand how medical coding fits within healthcare and understand the basics.
- Biomedical sciences: This section teaches medical terminology, anatomy, pathophysiology, and pharmacology, from a coding perspective.
- Code training: This section introduces all of the different code sets and their use. You will practice coding actual medical records and reports (provided by our employer partners) and using the 3M encoding software so you have lots of hands-on experience and graduate ready to earn your credential and start working.
If this sounds like something you want to get into, please apply! Under the Learn and Work in Utah program, your tuition is covered in full if you complete the program in the time allotted.
What You Will Learn
This program covers the following topics:
- Medical terminology
- Reimbursement methodologies
- Health information management
- Healthcare Delivery systems
- An introduction to medical coding including ICD-10, CPT/HCPCS, CPT/PCPCS coding
- Application and practicums on ICD-10 coding methods
- Preparation for both the CCA (offered by AHIMA) and the CPC (offered by AAPC) exams is built in to your AHIMA-approved CareerStep training so you’re prepared to earn industry credentials right after graduation. 86% of this programs' participants pass the exam on their first try.
Presented in partnership with Career Step
Preparation for both the CCA (offered by AHIMA) and the CPC (offered by AAPC) exams is built in to your AHIMA-approved CareerStep training so you’re prepared to earn industry credentials right after graduation. 86% of this programs' participant pass the exam on their first try.
We recommend that you have the following to participate in this program:
- HS diploma or GED